For MPhil in Asian Urbanisms:
Bachelor’s degree in a related discipline (such as, but by no means limited to, urban studies, architecture, urban planning or urban geography), from a reputable undergraduate programme with excellent academic performance.
For PhD in Asian Urbanisms:
Bachelor’s and Master’s degree, at least one of the two in a related discipline (such as, but by no means limited to urban studies, architecture, urban planning or urban geography), from a reputable undergraduate programme with excellent academic performance. In special cases, the master’s degree requirement might be waived if the candidate has demonstrated exceptional promise and capacity for research during their undergraduate studies, and passes an interview with a selection committee.
For both programmes:
- Good GRE results
- Good English Proficiency Test (TOEFL or IELTS) scores
- Statement of Purpose, up to 1500 words
- Research Proposal, up to 2500 words
- Curriculum Vitae
- At least two referral/recommendation letters
- Some applicants might be invited for an interview with the admission panel
 GRE (Graduate Record Examinations)
- All applicants are required to take GRE, unless waiver is granted by SMU.
- GRE is waived for graduates of Singapore Management University (SMU), National University of Singapore (NUS), Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD), Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT) and Singapore University of Social Sciences (SUSS), who have attained at least a bachelor degree from these universities.
- Applicants may submit an application without a GRE score, but should email the official GRE report as soon as possible to the programme office (firstname.lastname@example.org). Unless the requirement is waived, applications without a GRE will not be considered for admissions.
- The submitted score should be for a test taken within 5 years from the proposed date of admission.
- SMU’s GRE institution code is 2861.
More information about GRE is available on the GRE website.
 English Proficiency Test (TOEFL / IELTS)